Bob Evans Farms is constantly improving our sustainability and reducing our environmental impact at our manufacturing facilities, transportation center, and corporate campus. We partner with our suppliers to purchase products that are energy efficient, sustainably manufactured, and environmentally safe
Food Product Initiatives
- We are always reviewing environmentally friendly cartons, packaging materials, and master cases to increase the sustainability of the products (e.g., bio-degradable plastic, compostable packaging/trays, etc.).
- We are reducing packaging size and gauge where possible.
- Inedible organics are sold or donated for further use.
- Ammonia refrigeration compressor systems updated with variable speed drives reducing electric usage by 30%.
- High dispersion evaporative condenser spray nozzles improve ammonia condensation and lower electric usage.
- Direct-fired hot water heating systems drop natural gas usage 22%.
- Lighting systems updated with energy-efficient lights reducing electric usage by 30- 50%.
- Plant systems reuse rinse water.
- Special pallets are used to ship 80% of our products.
- Tractors use Alternative Power Units (APUs) to heat or cool trailers while stopped. These units are diesel-powered and use 80% less fuel than earlier units.
- Reduced tractor rear-end ratios 13% for improved fuel mileage.
- Fleet vehicles equipped with the Flex Fuel option.
Corporate Campus Initiatives
LEED Gold Facility – Key LEED Category Point Awards
- 20 – Energy and Atmosphere – Optimize Energy Performance, On-Site Renewable Energy
- 12 – Sustainable Sites – Low-Emitting/Fuel-Efficient Vehicles, Parking Capacity
- 11 – Indoor Environmental Quality – Daylight, Thermal Comfort, Increased Ventilation
- 8 – Water Efficiency – Water-Use Reduction, Water-Efficient Landscaping
- 6 – Innovation and Design Process – Energy Star Appliances, Green Cleaning
- 5 – Materials and Resources – Recycled Content, Regional Materials
- 4 – Regional Priority Credits
Waste Reduction and Reuse Programs
- Combined Recycling – Glass, Metal, Paper, Plastic
- Food Donations to Local Harvest Program
- Organic Waste Collection for Composting