Chili Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Casserole
Cheesy mashed potatoes with beef chili, beans, and spices is a hearty comfort food casserole to love! Make this cheesy potato casserole recipe for dinner tonight!
- 2 (24 ounce) packages Bob Evans Original Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, optional garnish
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large (10-inch) skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and salt. Use a spatula to break the beef up with a wooden spoon. Cook until just cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, green chiles and tomato paste. Stir and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. If the chili starts to stick to the bottom reduce the temperature.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the chili to the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish (7x11, 8x8).
- Leave the sauce in the pan to continue to reduce. Once it is thickened (it will happen pretty fast) pour into the casserole dish and stir.
- Scoop the potatoes a large spoon at a time (I did about 12 big scoops over the top). Then, spread mashed potatoes over the top trying not to mix the sauce and the potatoes.
- Use the back of the spoon to tap the potatoes to add texture.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the mashed potatoes.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Different products may contain allergens such as milk, wheat, egg, soy, peanuts tree nuts, fish and shellfish. If you are sensitive to allergens, always check the labels before use.