Gluten Free Plantain Lasagna
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 3 semi-ripe yellowish plantains, sliced long into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- spray avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef (OR your lean ground protein of choice)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground sage OR fennel
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Ricotta cheese
- 6 tablespoons Bob Evans® Egg Whites (OR 2 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 4 more tablespoons of Bob Evans® Egg Whites
- 2/3 cup grated mozzarella
- Fresh parsley
- Set oven to 420F or broil.
- Place tomatoes on a baking tray lined with parchment. Lightly spray them with a little oil and add a pinch of sea salt & pepper on top. Place in the oven for roughly 15 minutes, or until the skin begins to blister and the tomatoes are soft. Alternatively, place the tomatoes in the broiler for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Set oven to 400F.
- Once the plantains are sliced, set a large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Once hot, spray with oil then add the slices. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, then set the slices aside.
- To the skillet, add oil, onion and garlic. Sauté the onions until they turn brown and slightly translucent and be careful not to burn the garlic – reduce the heat if you have to.
- Add beef to the skillet and chop it up as it cooks. When it’s nearly 75% finished cooking (with still a few visible pink pieces), add the roasted tomatoes to the skillet. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to mash the tomatoes under the heat so it creates a natural tomato paste. Continue cooking everything together.
- Pour in tomato sauce and add oregano and sage/fennel along with a few pinches of sea salt & pepper. Stir and season to taste. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes then remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl mix together Ricotta and Bob Evans Egg Whites. Build the lasagna.
- In a rectangular or square baking dish, add an overlapping layer of plantain slices >> then spread some of the meat over it >> add a layer of ricotta cheese >> sprinkle in some Parmesan >> REPEAT. For the final top layer, add plantain slices then pour the remaining 4 tablespoons of egg whites all over the top layer. Lastly, top with mozzarella.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 400F. For the final 5 minutes, remove the top so the cheese can brown.
- After baking, let the lasagna rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Then garnish and enjoy!
Different products may contain allergens such as milk, wheat, egg, soy, peanuts tree nuts, fish and shellfish. If you are sensitive to allergens, always check the labels before use.